Although there are various news stories and articles citing the fact that marriage is on the decline, that doesn’t mean that there still aren’t people who find the institution to be sweet, relevant and highly-beneficial. The reason why they feel this way is because it is.
Aside from the fact that there is something very special about meeting someone, falling in love and then making the commitment to join your life to theirs, there are also some practical and proven reasons why being married is especially awesome.
Are you single and considering getting married? Or perhaps you’ve been married for several years and you’d simply like a reminder of why it was one of the best decisions that you ever made. Whatever your relationship status may be, this article is going to show you while pop culture currently sees it as a trend, marriage is something that should never go out of style.
- You have a best friend for life. When you first started dating, there’s a pretty good chance that you were looking for someone who was attractive and fun. And while those are still appealing attributes, as you matured, you probably realized that you needed a lot more than a cute person who can offer you a good time. Relational success consists of being with the kind of individual who offers companionship, support, loyalty, respect and more than anything, love. In short, you need to be with a lover who you also consider to be a true friend. And you know what? When it comes to friendship, it isn’t so much about having tons of friends as it is about finding a few true ones. And when one of those friends is your spouse—someone who will be there for you through good times and bad, no matter what—you can rest in the fact that you have a best friend for life.
- The sex is safer. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) are still considered to be a silent epidemic within the United States. In America alone, there are over 20 million new cases each year; some of those are due to people who engage in unprotected sex with multiple sex partners. Just about any doctor will tell you that one of the best ways to avoid being diagnosed with an STD is to be in a monogamous relationship. By the very definition of marriage, it affords you that opportunity. Aside from the fact that having a spouse can make sex physically safer, being intimate with one person is also emotionally reassuring too.
- It will save you money. It’s pretty ironic that although financial problems are a leading cause for divorce, when people are willing to communicate and budget, being married can save them a significant amount of money in the long run. In fact, having a spouse can earn you tax deductions, reduce your health insurance policy, provide you with Social Security benefits, help you to receive benefits from your spouse’s pension plans and also make it possible for you and your partner to contribute to one another’s IRAs.
- Chances are, you’ll live longer. When you said “til death do us part” to your significant other, you might not have realized that being married can literally increase your longevity. In fact, there are studies which indicate that married people live longer than single people do. Although there are various theories as to why this is the case, two popular ones is having a consistent sex life and receiving emotional support reduces stress, plus marriage can decrease the chances of being diagnosed with heart disease and cancer. Put another way, marriage is good for you—mind, body and soul.
- You will have a safe place to grow. Something that everyone desires is having a person in their life that they can trust. When you know there’s someone who has your best interest at heart and is rooting for your success, when it comes to what you are able to accomplish, the sky truly is the limit! True love is meant to be a place where you can feel secure, where you can feel cared for and where you can thrive. And when love helps you to grow, life doesn’t get any better or sweeter than that!
By Malini Bhatia from marriage.com